Mold Is Very Common and Will Grow Anywhere There Is Moisture

Mold is a generic word for over 100,000 kinds of fungus. Essentially, molds are living organisms that make up a large portion of the fungi kingdom. Molds make spores instead of seeds that float in the air like pollen. Spores are regenerative cells surrounded by a very tough coating that can survive detergents, chemicals, bleach, and extreme temperatures.

Mold spores are microscopic in size, typically requiring 600X magnification to identify. It has been said that 250,000 mold spores can fit on the head of a pin. A visible patch of mold the size of a quarter can represent billions of spores.

Mold reproduces by releasing spores. When mold spores settle on a surface they can grow and spread rapidly, giving off a variety of odors and exhibiting hundreds of different colors and textures.

Should You Be Concerned About Mold?

Absolutely! Eventually, mold destroys whatever it grows on. It can ruin furnishings, destroy cabinets, and cause serious damage to the structural elements in your property. It can trigger asthma attacks in people with asthma and give asthma to people who don’t have it. Asthma kills 5,000 people every year in the U.S. alone and most of them are children.

The best time to respond to mold is before it gets to do its worst damage. Eliminating leaks and moisture can slow the spread of mold, but a professional inspection by a qualified specialist and testing in accordance with industry-standard protocols is the only way to properly identify the problem and create an appropriate action plan.

 

SCHEDULE AN INSPECTION

What is Radon?

Radon is element 86 on the Periodic Table. It is a naturally occurring, odorless, colorless, tasteless, radioactive gas produced from the radioactive decay of radium, found in most soils and earthen construction materials. Radon is the second leading cause of lung cancer in the U.S. after smoking, and the leading cause of lung cancer among non-smokers. 

Radon is certainly more common in the Northern and Northwestern states and testing completed shows those states have a greater percentage of homes reporting higher levels than you would typically find in Florida. However, that does not change the fact that Florida does have elevated levels of radon.

The primary source of radon gas in your home or business comes from the amount of radium found in the soil beneath your building. The largest source of radium affecting in-door radon levels in Florida comes from phosphate. Phosphate can be found in our soil in varying quantities throughout Florida and is widely used in the fertilizer industry.

Unfortunately, there is no such thing as a radon-free environment. The national average of in-door radon has a level of 1.3 picocuries per liter (pCi/L) and the national outdoor average is 0.4 pCi/L. Exposure to radon at any level carries with it some health risk. The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (USEPA) recommends fixing your home if your indoor radon level is 4.0 pCi/L or greater. This information can only be obtained by testing your home.

 

SCHEDULE AN INSPECTION

What is Radon?

Radon is element 86 on the Periodic Table. It is a naturally occurring, odorless, colorless, tasteless, radioactive gas produced from the radioactive decay of radium, found in most soils and earthen construction materials. Radon is the second leading cause of lung cancer in the U.S. after smoking, and the leading cause of lung cancer among non-smokers. 

Radon is certainly more common in the Northern and Northwestern states and testing completed shows those states have a greater percentage of homes reporting higher levels than you would typically find in Florida. However, that does not change the fact that Florida does have elevated levels of radon.

The primary source of radon gas in your home or business comes from the amount of radium found in the soil beneath your building. The largest source of radium affecting in-door radon levels in Florida comes from phosphate. Phosphate can be found in our soil in varying quantities throughout Florida and is widely used in the fertilizer industry.

Unfortunately, there is no such thing as a radon-free environment. The national average of in-door radon has a level of 1.3 picocuries per liter (pCi/L) and the national outdoor average is 0.4 pCi/L. Exposure to radon at any level carries with it some health risk. The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (USEPA) recommends fixing your home if your indoor radon level is 4.0 pCi/L or greater. This information can only be obtained by testing your home.

 

SCHEDULE AN INSPECTION